Bristol University2 3 – BAC 4

Written by – Liz Gaze

A lunch time start saw BAC arrive at the Uni pitch hungry but still buzzing from last week’s result. Even Red still had a smile on her face despite her car being rammed by a swiftly reversing netball player whilst supporting BAC2 in the earlier match. Due to weddings, work and holidays the team looked a little different this week and we welcomed WP back from injury and Netty and Bryon for their first foray into North League. The Uni umpire had not turned up so a stand in took charge of the whistle – more on that later!

BAC started as they finished the last game with some quick passing between Liz and Sledger, into the D to Tinny who slotted home the first goal in the second minute of the game. BAC kept on the pressure with a few more chances on goal but the Uni got a quick breakaway, the ball was smashed into the D and deflected into the goal on the bounce to see the Uni draw level. No chance of stopping that one. More end to end action saw plenty on BAC chances but to no avail. As Tinny was to comment later “she didn’t have her shooting boots on today”! The Uni were more clinical in their finishing and a few missed tackles and some bouncing balls in the D lead to the Uni going 3 – 1 up. It was nearly 4 but after some more ping pong in the D WP leaped into action and saved the ball off the line. WP was on fire at this point and broke down the left, rounding several players to carry the ball the length of the pitch but to no avail and the half time whistle blew.

The away crowd had started to grow and BAC went into the halftime break knowing that they were unlucky to be behind. A positive team talk and a few tactical changes left BAC eager to get on with the second half and improve the situation. The temporary Uni umpire had to leave to umpire another game so the Uni coach took charge of the whistle.

BAC started the half with some great attacking play and a few short corners. The umpiring situation then took another twist. The late umpire finally turned up, but with 50 minutes on the clock, the BAC captain refused a 3rd change in official and the coach was left to complete the match. BAC did not let this affect their concentration and promptly went down the other end and were awarded a short corner. A nifty little bit of passing play saw Tinny dive to push the ball over the line. 3 – 2. A couple of minutes later and a repeat of the previous routine gave Tinny her hattrick (without the dive this time) and BAC had drawn level. BAC were on a roll and within no time some link up play between Bish and WP presented Tinny with the opportunity to score her 4th goal. Her shooting boots were well and truly back on (3 goals in 5 min!). 3 – 4. Despite BAC having no subs and the youthful Uni team subbing every few minutes, BAC were determined not to let their lead slip. Grandma Bish bossed the midfield, Netty picked off some great last minute tackles and the whole team gave it their all. Sledger went on several bursts up the pitch looking for that 5th goal! That 5th goal almost came when a diving Bryon nearly deflected the ball into the top corner of the net – so close.  The 2 minute signal went up and BAC played some great possession hockey to see out a great comeback.

Full time 3-4 to BAC. The players ran over to celebrate the victory with the away fans – much to the dismay of Side-line Sal who’d sat in the dugout watching the whole game.

BAC still sitting pretty at the top of the table!


3rd – Wooller & Liz

2nd – Sledger & Tinny

1st – Bish



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *